No evidence of Aussie ball-tampering: ICC
HOBART: ICC match referee Chris Broad said Tuesday he found no evidence of Australian ball-tampering during the first Hobart Test and would not be taking the matter any further.
Sri Lanka’s team management had expressed concern at television match footage which it believed showed paceman Peter Siddle tampering with the ball during the Sri Lankan first innings.
The tourists’ team manager Charith Senanayake said he had spoken to International Cricket Council officials. But Broad said that after viewing video footage he found no evidence the match ball had been tampered with.
“The umpires frequently inspect the ball during play, and did so again after they had reviewed the video footage in question on Sunday,” Broad said in a statement.
“They found no evidence to suggest that the condition of the ball had been changed.”
Broad said he had spoken to Australia coach Mickey Arthur during the tea interval on Sunday’s third day and told him the match umpires would continue to inspect the cricket ball regularly, and monitor the actions of all players.
“In the opinion of the umpires, there was no evidence to suggest that the condition of the ball was changed, or that the video or photographic evidence would support a charge under the Code of Conduct, so they will not be laying any charges relating to these incidents.”
Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene said his team had not made an official complaint to the ICC officials about the televised incident.
“We never made any official complaint about it. We just moved on. It’s up to the officials to see whether anything happened and if so take action, otherwise we move on,” Jayawardene said at his post-match press conference.
The Sri Lankans had “no proof” and had only seen the incident on television, he said.
Australia captain Michael Clarke supported his bowlers and believed firmly that his team played in the spirit of the game. “At the end of the day the ICC have made it clear there’s nothing there,” Clarke said. (AFP)