KARACHI: Interior Minister Rehman Malik has said that the ban on YouTube will be lifted but with a firewall installed within a few weeks, reported the media on Saturday.
Talking to the media outside the Parliament today, the minister said that the process will require some time, but the video sharing website will become accessible within weeks.
It may be recalled that Pakistan had banned YouTube over its refusal to remove clips from an anti-Islam film “Innocence of Muslims”, hosted on the website.
The film sparked riots and furore across the Muslim world with mass protests in Egypt, Libya and Pakistan among other Muslim countries.
US embassies in Cairo and Benghazi were stormed with the US Ambassador in Libya assassinated in a militant attack amidst protests.
Malik earlier had said on Twitter that the website would be reopened on huge public demand, but the telecom regulator would install a firewall to block unseemly content.
It had been decided to unban the site earlier, but Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf ordered the site to be blocked again.
Internet Service Providers Association of Pakistan (ISPAK) had welcomed restoring access to the video sharing website.